VA North Texas Health Care System
Application Process for Medical Students
Requirements & Timeframes
Unless otherwise directed by your Service Education Program Coordinator, your application packet must be completed and submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the your first rotation date. NOTE: Steps 1-4 must be completed before your computer access code can be requested. It takes 7-9 business days to get computer access codes from IT.
STEP 1: Download VA Human Resources Forms
Download and complete these forms:
- WOC Letter
- Form 10-2850D-Application for Health Professions Trainees
- Form SF-61-Appointment Affidavits (can be notarized at Dallas Human Resources Office)
- Form OF-306-Declaration of Federal Employment
- Form I-9 Employment and Eligibility Verification
- OFI Form 86C-Special Agreement Check (SAC)
STEP 2: Get Fingerprinted by VA
Courtesy fingerprinting is available at the Dallas VA Human Resources, Bldg. TT-49. Bring with you the following:
- OFI Form 86C-Special Agreement Check
- 2 matching, original U.S. government-issued IDs (state issued driver’s license, SSN, U.S. Passport, etc.)
STEP 3: In-process with Dallas VA Human Resources
- In-processing must be done at least 2 weeks before your rotation or your computer access code will not be ready.
- In-process takes place at the Dallas VA Human Resources (Bldg. TT-51) on Tuesdays or Thursdays, 9-11 a.m. or 1-3 p.m.
- Bring all of your original VA forms and 2 matching, original government-issued IDs (state issued driver’s license, SSN, U.S. Passport, etc.
STEP 4: Complete Mandatory TMS Training
Go to www.tms.va.gov, self-enroll, complete the "VHA Mandatory Training for Trainees" course, and print the certificate. Mail, email, or fax the certificate to your Service Education Program Coordinator. If you self-enrolled at another VA, let your Program Coordinator know so they can have your TMC account moved to the Dallas VA.
After your VANTHCS clinical rotation, we ask you complete the Learners' Perception Survey at the OAA Website.