VA North Texas Health Care System
Safe, comfortable housing is available for families of Veterans receiving health care at Dallas VA Medical Center. Fisher House, similar to Ronald McDonald House, provides free temporary lodging for families of VA patients.
A "home away from home," Fisher House has 21-suites complete with common kitchen, laundry facilities, spacious dining room, living room, library and picnic pavilion. All areas are wheelchair accessible. The newest addition to the Fisher House is a luxurious outdoor kitchen that includes a relaxing water feature.
Veterans or active duty military personnel may stay at Fisher House only if they are accompanied by a family member or caregiver while they receive long-term outpatient treatment. One room will be assigned to each family, and all guests must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Show medical stability and capable of self care or accompanied by a caregiver that provides the necessary care. VA does not provide nursing or other medical care at Fisher House.
- Travel over 50 miles or two hours from the place of residence to Dallas VA Medical Center.
- Stay in unsupervised setting.
- Accommodate and supervise minor children at all times.
Referrals to Fisher House should be completed in advance. The health care professional assigned to the patient will conduct an initial screening to determine appropriateness.
- Dallas VA Medical Center, Building 79
Hours of Operation
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week