VA North Texas Health Care System
Healthy Living Is a Choice
Ask your primary care provider about the Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (HPDP) program today. There are several benefits available to you by doing so.
- Make your health care more personal.
- Work in partnership with your health care provider.
- Identify personal health goals to make your life better.
- Make decisions based on your personal needs.
One of the core objectives of HPDP is to focus more on patient centered care and less on disease centered care. Our goal: PROACTIVE not REACTIVE.
Although doctors are still concerned about the underlying cause of a patient’s overall health, the focus now is on treating the whole person and not just their disease. "What's important to you in life?" is just one example of a question a Veteran might be asked by a health care provider during a visit. Questions like those will help our health care team work with Veterans to identify their reasons for wanting to be healthier.
Veterans are encouraged to review the nine healthy living goals and choose the most important one that will make a positive change in their life.
- Be involved in your health care.
- Be tobacco free.
- Eat wisely.
- Be physically active.
- Strive for a healthy weight.
- Limit alcohol.
- Get recommended screening tests and immunizations.
- Manage stress.
- Be safe.
Be proactive by getting involved with HPDP. This program can change the way you think about the health care you receive. It can change your life.