VA North Texas Health Care System
News, Events & Media Home
The Public Affairs Office is your source for news, publications, social media, and web. By sharing information, publicizing VA achievements, and telling our Veterans' stories, we strive to educate all stakeholders about VA North Texas Health Care System's high quality, safe health care, advanced technology and equipment, and talented, skilled physicians, nurses, and staff.
Serving as the initial contact for reporters, producers, and other media representatives seeking information about VA North Texas Health Care System, its staff, or patients, the Public Affairs Office:
- Responds to media inquiries
- Provides subject matter experts for media interviews
- Schedules and coordinates media interviews
- Shares fact sheets and statistical information
- Provides photos/images of facilities
- Distributes information about VA-related outreach and events
Media Relations Policy
- Contact Public Affairs at 214-857-1158 or NTXPublicAffairs@va.govfor all interviews.
- Advance notice of on-site interviews is necessary so staff can arrange locations for media interviews or photo shoots, and coordinate appropriate story sources.
- Adherence to federal guidelines regarding patient privacy as outlined by the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), requires media visiting our facilities be escorted by a Public Affairs staff member. This also ensures you receive the most accurate information in the timeliness manner possible.
- Media access may be limited or denied to any area of a facility at the discretion of VANTHCS director, the patient's health care team, or individual physicians.
- Public Affairs is required to complete VA Form 10-3203 "Consent for Use of Picture and/or Voice" prior to making or using pictures, video, or voice recording of any VA patient.
All media personnel are asked to:
- Check in with Public Affairs or VA Police upon arrival on VA grounds.
- Wear a VA-issued media pass at all times while on campus at any VA North Texas facilities or clinics.
- Return the VA-issued media pass to VA Police or Public Affairs upon departure.
Patient Condition Reports
VA is responsible for protecting the privacy and confidentiality of our patients. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) governs privacy standards for health care information.
- If a patient has agreed to be listed in the hospital directory, Public Affairs can provide a one-word condition after the patient's correct first and last name, including exact spelling, are provided.
- If a patient has opted out of the hospital directory or chooses not to have a condition released, Public Affairs will not be able to provide a condition update or even acknowledge the individual is a patient. Our response will be "I have no information available for a person by that name."
Applicable Patient Condition Descriptions:
Undetermined - Patient awaiting physician and/or assessment.
Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
Serious- Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
Deceased - Death status can only be confirmed only after next-of-kin has been notified. Official information on cause of death or additional information will be referred to the county medical examiner's office. Patients have the right to restrict certain disclosures at any time. If they do, we can no longer provide additional updates.
School Research Projects
Students working on school papers who wish to interview a Veteran about his military experience are encouraged to contact a Veterans Service Organization for assistance. Here are some resources outside of VA:
- Veteran Service Organizations
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Posts
- American Legion Posts
- Vietnam Veterans of America Chapters
- Paralyzed Veterans of America Chapters
- Disabled Veterans of America Chapters
- Women Veterans of American Chapters