VA North Texas Health Care System
Health Care for Homeless Veterans
The HCHV Program performs outreach in the community to engage and identify Veterans who are homeless, on the streets, in shelters, and in county jails to help them access care, obtain needed services, and take advantage of community resources. HCHV staff perform comprehensive housing assessments (Universal Homeless Housing Screening). This screening helps determine the next best step for the Veteran. It may be the Veteran has a mental health or substance abuse problem and may benefit from residential substance abuse treatment or behavioral health services. Counselors also have information about rental assistance, bill payment, clothing, primary care, and vocational rehabilitation.
Universal Homeless Housing Screenings
- Walk-ins are taken on a first-come, first-served basis Monday - Friday.
- Times vary with location.
- Appointments & Walk-in Information: 1-800-849-3597, x78955
- 24/7 Homeless Resource Hotline: 1-877-424-3838
Dallas VA Medical Center, 4500 S. Lancaster Rd.
Bldg. 71A (located in back parking lot)
Fort Worth Homeless Clinic, 1518 E. Lancaster
Check-in at Front Desk
Tyler VA Specialty Care Clinic, 3414 Golden Rd.
Annual Homeless Veteran Stand Downs
Annual Homeless Veteran Stand Downs typically are 1-3 days and provide services such as food, clothing, health screenings, VA benefits counseling, and referrals to a variety of services including housing and employment. Stand Downs are collaborative events with participation from VA, various federal, state, and local government agencies, and community organizations who serve the homeless population.
Peer Housing Location Assistance Group (PHLAG)
This program assists Veterans experiencing homelessness find permanent housing. Veterans in this program are required to enroll in PHLAG and attend regular weekly PHLAG groups at Dallas VA Medical Center.
- Veterans Crisis Line: 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255)
- Women Veterans Hotline: 855-VA-WOMEN (855-829-6636)
- Combat Call Center: 877-WAR-VETS (877-927-8387)
- National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: 877-424-3838
Additional Service Locations
- Homeless Assistance
Hours of Operation
- Assistance is available 24/7.