Nutrition & Food - VA North Texas Health Care System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA North Texas Health Care System

Menu
Menu
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge
 

Nutrition & Food

Mission

To provide Veterans and stakeholders excellent comprehensive and innovative nutrition and food service programs that are evidence-based and support the full continuum of health care through interdisciplinary collaboration both within and outside the Veterans Health Administration.

Philosophy

To provide, by structure and standards, a comprehensive package of services that will meet the nutritional needs of patients through the continuum of inpatient and outpatient care. There are 2 components to our program: the administrative side, which prepares and serves meals and the clinical side, which provides nutrition therapy. We strive to combine the two in an effective way that will provide the greatest benefit to our patients. Monthly staff meetings, patient satisfaction surveys and meal rounds foster communication. The clinical dietitian and diet technician are the liaisons between the patients and the administrative portion of the service.

  • It is important that services are provided in a timely manner. There are quality monitors in place to assess compliance with this expectation and with timeliness of scheduling outpatient nutrition clinic appointments and patient education.
  • It is important that services are effective. There is a quality monitor in place to assess improvement in nutrition status of inpatients.
  • It is important that services meet the quality expectations of patients. A quarterly patient satisfaction survey is conducted to determine levels of patient satisfaction with aspects of meal service such as food temperature and quality.
  • It is important to provide a continuum of care for all patients: those who are seen as inpatients with follow-up care provided, as needed, to those who are outpatients, or those in home care programs.

Service Description

We serve Veterans by providing comprehensive nutritional care through meal service and clinical intervention at Dallas VA Medical Center, Sam Rayburn Memorial Veterans Center in Bonham, Fort Worth Outpatient Clinic and Polk Street VA Annex Clinic. Due to size and complexity, the program is divided into sections as follows: Medical Nutrition Therapy, Food Production and Service, Food Systems Administration and Management Support.

Under our current operational plan, we use an advanced food production (cook/chill) and advanced tray delivery system. The food production operation is located in Bonham. Approximately 78% of the food served is convenience or ready-to-serve. The remaining 22% consists of items requiring minimal preparation or conventional "scratch" food preparation. All items requiring minimal preparation or conventional food preparation are prepared in Bonham and delivered to Dallas by refrigerated truck.

A central tray line is operated at both facilities and trays are assembled with cold food. Both facilities utilize the Aladdin Temprite II Advanced Delivery System to re-thermalize food. In Dallas, tray assembly, cold storage and re-thermalization is centralized in the main kitchen. At pre-set times, docking modules automatically start the re-thermalization process and when completed, fully assembled trays are delivered by food service workers to patients in various units/ward locations. 

In Bonham, the re-thermalization process is de-centralized. Partially assembled trays are placed in unheated carts, transported, via a truck, to outlying patient care areas, and connected to docking modules for automatic re-thermalization. Food service employees finish the trays with beverages, frozen desserts, etc. and make deliveries to patients. Also in Bonham, we operate a cafeteria at the Domiciliary, where food is heated in bulk prior to meal service, utilizing a conduction system.

Hours of Operation

Administrative Offices: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Nutrition Clinics in Dallas, Bonham and Fort Worth: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Inpatient nutrition care: Clinical dietitian staff are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Food production and service in Dallas: 5:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Food production and service in Bonham: 5 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Contact Info

Location

  • Dallas VAMC, Bldg 2, 3rd Floor, Rm 3C-400A
    Sam Rayburn Memorial Veterans Center - Bonham
    Bldg 2, 1st Floor, Rm 119

Contact Number(s)

  • 214-857-0078
  • 903-583-6291

Hours of Operation

  • Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.