VA North Texas Health Care System
Visual Impairment and Blind Rehabilitation
The VIST/BROS program helps Veterans overcome the negative effects of severe vision loss and blindness, and helps them select the most appropriate treatment plan.
- Eye exams
- Physical exams
- Review of Veteran benefits
- Recreational opportunities
- Computer training
- Monthly support group meetings
- Rehabilitation training
We offer comprehensive rehabilitation training for severely visually impaired Veterans. Based on the VIST coordinator's assessment in consultation with the Veteran, the following services can be arranged:
- Regional VA Blind Rehabilitation Center training
- Local blind rehabilitation training
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Low vision services
- Guide dog schools
- State and local program referrals
Veterans with an honorable discharge from active military service and who have documented visual acuities of 20/70 or worse in the better eye or restricted fields of 20 degrees or less in both eyes are eligible for services.
The VIST Coordinator will review eligibility with each Veteran to determine the most appropriate treatment plan.
Any interested individual, family member, eye care specialist or agency representative can make referrals to the VIST program.
1st Floor, Clinic 10
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.