VA North Texas Health Care System
VA North Texas supports and promotes the Joint Commission's Speak Up™ program urging patients to take active roles in preventing health care errors by becoming involved and informed participants on their health care team. We want you to:
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns. If you still don't understand, ask again. It's your body and you have a right to know.
- Pay attention to the care you get. Always make sure you're getting the right treatments and medicines by the right health care professionals. Don't assume anything.
- Educate yourself about your illness. Learn about the medical tests you get, and your treatment plan.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate (advisor or supporter).
- Know what medicines you take and why you take them. Medicine errors are the most common health care mistakes.
- Use a hospital, clinic, surgery center, or other type of health care organization that has been carefully checked out. For example, The Joint Commission visits hospitals to see if they are meeting The Joint Commission's quality standards.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment. You are the center of the health care team.
Ambulatory Care Brochure
Understanding Ambulatory Care
Ambulatory Care Video
Behavioral Health Brochure
Behavioral Health Video
Infection Control Video